Saturday, August 27, 2011
SB ORDER NO. 16/2011
Government of India
Ministry of Communications & IT
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
All Heads of Circles/Regions
Subject:- Grant of Savings Bank Allowance to Postal Assistants working in Savings Bank/certificate branches- holding of SB Aptitude Test regarding.
Sir / Madam,
The undersigned is directed to refer to this office SB Order No.26/89 issued vide letter no. 23/86-SB dated 27.4.1989, SB Order No.43/89 dated 12.9.1989, SB Order No. 26/90 dated 4.05.1990, SB Order No. 17/2004 dated 8.10.2001, SB Order No. 5/2005 issued vide letter no. 113-1/2003SB(APT) dated 28.3.2005, D.O.letter of even number dated 26.2.2010 from DDG(FS) to all Heads of circles and SB Order No. 10/2011 dated 21.6.2011 on the subject.
1. Based on the inputs received from the circles, it was observed that out of the staff working in the POSB/SC related branches in the post offices, the percentage of staff passed SB Aptitude test is very low and in some circles the test has either been not held from many years or not regularly held. In view of this, the pattern and syllabus of the aptitude test has been reviewed in this office and it has been decided to revise the whole pattern as well as syllabus of this test which is very important from the operational point of view of the POSB/SC. Min. of Finance is also time and again pointing out the high percentage of irregularities being committed by the postal staff which is resulting in financial loss to the Government as well as in some cases to the customers and increase in court cases/public grievances.
2. Revised Syllabus, pattern, eligibility criteria, procedure for setting up of paper/venue and further reporting to this division are attached as enclosure. Test will be held twice in a calendar year i.e in the month of February and August and candidates who have completed one year service on 30th June or 31st December of the year in which the test is conducted shall be eligible to appear.
3. It is requested that necessary action may be taken immediately to circulate the new syllabus as well as eligibility criteria so that next SB Aptitude may be held in February 2012.
4. This issues with the approval of DDG(FS).
Kawal Jit Singh
Assistant Director (SB)
Enclosure:- New Syllabus/Pattern/Eligibility Criteria etc.
Syllabus for Savings Bank Aptitude Test
Paper - I Marks-100
Time -2 Hours
Total No. of Questions - 50
Qualifying Marks - 50%
The examination will be held with the aid of books approved by the department. All the questions will be objective type with four options. The candidate has to choose the correct option as per his knowledge and quote the rule from the books approved for the examination to support his/her decision.
Government Savings Bank Act 1873 (amended from time to time)
Government Savings Certificates Act 1959 (amended from time to time)
Public Provident Fund Act 1968 (amended from time to time)
(1) Post Office Savings Bank General Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(2) Post Office Savings Account Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(3) Post Office Recurring Deposit Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(4) Post Office Time Deposit Rules 1981 (amended from time to time).
(5) Post Office Monthly Income Account Rules 1987(amended from time to time).
(6) Public Provident Fund Scheme Rules 1968 (amended from time to time)
(7) National Savings Certificate (VIII Issue) Rules, 1989 (amended from time to time).
Kisan Vikas Patras Rules, 1986 (amended from time to time).
(1) All procedural rules of POSB Manual Vol-I and II.
(2) All SB Orders issued from 1.1.2007 onwards.
POSB Manual Vol-I or Compilation of POSB Manual Vol-I
POSB Manual Vol-II or Compilation of POSB Manual Vol-II
POSB Manual Vol-III or Compilation of POSB Manual Vol-III
or Handbook on Government Small Savings Bank Schemes
ll Postal Assistants who have completed one year’s service on 30th June or 31st December of the year in which test is conducted shall be eligible to appear. Test will be conducted twice in a calendar year i.e in the month of February and August. Candidates who have completed one year’s service as on 31st December shall be eligible for appearing in the test to be held in February and those who have completed one year’s service as on 30th June shall be eligible for appearing in the test to be held in August. There will be no restriction on number of times a candidate can appear.
Setting up of paper and venue:-
Test will be conducted by the circle. Date, time and venue will be decided at circle level and circulated at least 30 days before the scheduled date. Setting up of paper will be done at the level of Postal Training Centre. Chief Postmaster General of the circle shall decide the name of Postal Training Centre from which the Paper will be got set. A blank line is required to be provided after 4 options in each question to mention the Rule in support of the answer. Evaluation of the papers shall also be got done from the same PTC. Result will be declared by the circle. Successful candidates shall be posted in the branches pertaining to POSB/SC in post offices/divisional offices/regional offices and circle office. If surplus candidates qualified, a list of such candidates may be prepared in the preference of marks obtained in the test and they shall be posted in the SB/SC branches as and when required.
Friday, August 26, 2011
SB ORDER NO. 15/2011
Government of India
Ministry of Communications & IT
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg,
All Chief Postmaster Generals
Subject:- Settlement of deceased claim case in respect of Sr. Citizen’s Savings Scheme account- a clarification regarding.
The undersigned is directed to say that a RTI query regarding settlement of deceased claim when deposit is payable to two or more nominees and either of them is dead was referred to Min. of Finance (DEA) for clarification as there is no such provision in SCSS Rules 2004.
1. The Ministry of Finance (DEA) vide its O.M.No. 15/1/2009/NS-II dated 02.08.2011 has clarified that in such a case, the deposit shall be paid to the surviving nominee.
2. It is requested that this may be circulated to all post offices for information and necessary guidance to deal with such claim cases.
3. This issues with the approval of DDG(FS).
Kawal Jit Singh
Assistant Director (SB)
Monday, August 22, 2011
Model Question Paper -Optical Mark Reader
Last Grade Official [LGO] Examination for the promotion of
Postal Assistants/Sorting Assistants
Write with Ball Point pen in boxes and HB pencils for darkening the responses for
MCQs [Multiple Choice Questions] Max Marks 100
1. The reply post card system service from India is available for the following foreign countries.
[a] France [b] Bhutan [c] Myanmar [d] Srilanka
2. Unpaid articles addressed by the public to officials of the Department of Post should
be taxed with postage, treated as refused and forward to _________ for returning to
[a] Sender [b] Head of Department of Posts [c] RLO [d] office of posting
3. Registered Bundles are prepared whenever there are more than ______ uninsured
Registered articles of the letter mail for any Post Office for which any direct mail bag
is not closed.
[a] Three [b] Four [c] Two [d] Six
4 Greetings mails posted in non-seasonal period sent by earliest available
[a] Surface mode [b] Air lift mode [c] Air lift without collecting surcharge
[d] Treated as First Class mails for dispatch
5 Territorial Bundles are prepared when number of articles is ________ or more.
[a] 12 [b] 16 [c] 30 [d] 25
6 In Meghdoot Millennium Point of Sale [POS] to go to the next field press
[a] Enter/TAB key [b] Alt Key [c} Del key [d] Ctrl key
7. Crediting annual premium for a Rural Postal Life Insurance [RPLI] policy,
Grace period of ______ days will be allowed for the holder to pay the premium
[a] 30 days [b] 45 days [c] 60 days [d] 75 days
8 Yellow strip in corner check slips are used for
[a] Rajdhani mails [b] Metro mails [c] Air-Mails [d] Express Bundle
9. Rebate rate for RPLI Policy premium payment for twelve advance months is
[a] 0.5 % [b] 1% [c] 2% [c] 2 ½ %
10 For issuing duplicate RPLI/PLI policy, application in prescribed format should be
submitted in Rs ________ Stamp paper .
[a] Rs 50 [b] Rs 100 [c] Rs 250 [d] Rs 60
11 Direct Parcel Bags are closed whenever there are __________ or more
Registered /Insured parcels to a particular Delivery PO
[a] Three [b] Four [c] Five [d] Six
12 . AV2 statement generally represents
[a] Air Mail correspondence posted in Ships [b] Correspondence letters posted in UN
Camp [c] Correspondence letters posted in Foreign Boundary [d] Correspondences
letters posted in Military Zone
13 ‘FOAS’ Means
[a] Follow Army Official Service [b] Free On Airmail Service
[c] Free On Active Service [d] First Aide on Service
14. In the case of suicide by the policy holder of RPLI after ______ years, the nominee
will get the eligible surrender value
[a] Five [b] Two [c] Three [d] Six months
15. The maximum amount to be deposited in a Monthly Income Account Scheme by an
individual depositor is
[a] Rs 1.50 lakhs [b] 9.0 lakhs [c] 4.5 lakhs [d] 6.0 lakhs
16. The Interest Bearing Balance [IBB] in Postal Saving Bank Account will be
calculated based on ______th instant of every month
[a] 5 [b] 21 [c] 10 [d] 1
17. Interest of TD account in Post office calculated in----------- basis.
[a] monthly compound [b] bimonthly compound [c] tri-monthly compound
[d] yearly compound
18. The Maximum balance kept by the depositors in a Joint POSB Account is
[a] 1 lakhs [ b] 2 lakhs [c] 3 lakhs [d] 4lakhs
19. An oblong stamp contains
[a] Month stamp
[c] Month & Audit stamp
20 The custodian of Insurance Stamp in a Sub Post Office is
[a] Mail PA [b] Sub Postmaster [c] Counter PA [d] MTS Employee
21 PLI premium in a particular policy will be accepted in any Post office in_____
[a] a Head Office [b] in a postal Division [c] in a Postal Circle [d] Whole India
22. i-MO contains ___________________ digits
[A] 8 [ b] 16 [c ] 12 [d] 10
23. Message portion in an e-MO limited into _________ characteristics
[a] 20 [b] 50 [c] 30 [d] 40
24. The maximum amount can send by e-MO is
[a]Rs 10000 [b] Rs 5000 [c} Rs 2000 [d] Rs 1000
25 The maximum amount sends by i-MO
[a]Rs100000/- [b] Rs 50000/- [c] Rs10000/- [d] Rs 20000/-
26 The amount of postage required for sending 200gm by way of book post
[a] Rs 8/- [b] Rs 10 [c] Rs 13/- [d] None
27. The minimum tariff amount to be insured on a postal article.
[a] Rs 100/- [b]Rs 500/- [c] Rs1000/- [d] Rs 200/-
28 The savings earned by a customer in commission by way sending an amount of
Rs 5000/-, if he adopt i- MO service instead of e-MO.service
[a] Rs 100/- [b] Rs 50/- [c] Rs 75/- [d] Rs 200/-
29. If a bag label superscripted as ‘CAP’, it means.
[a] Care Adopted Parcel
[c] Certified Approved Packing
30. The registered letter addressed to foreign countries bear the bar-code as ________
[a] EBL [b] RR [c] RL [d] IN
31. A Poste restante article [except VP article] will kept under deposit for a period of
__________________ Days/ weeks/months.
[a] 15 days [b]one week [c] one month [d] 45 days
32. Redirection fee charged for inland parcels is_______________
[a] postage prepaid initially [b] Rs 10/- [c] half the prepaid postage [d] Rs 32/-
33. Complaints relating to loss/ non receipt of MO/VP articles should be lodged
with in_________________ days
[a] One year [b] 45 days [c] one month [d] six months
34. Maximum weight of a letter article would not exceed _________ gms.
[a] 1000 gms [c] 500 gms [c] 2000 gms [d] 250 gms
35. For ‘blind literature packet’ the following charge has to be borne by the sender.
[a] registration fee
[c] postage fee
36. Maximum value of Field Postal Order is______________
[a] Rs 10000 [b] Rs 25000 [c] Rs 50000/- [d] Rs One lakhs
37. Minimum insurance fee at present levied is Rs.______________
[a] Rs 2/- [b] Rs 5/- [c] Rs 6/- [d] Rs 10/-
38. Commission to be paid for a Indian Postal Order of Rs 100/-
[a] 5/- [b] Rs 10/- [c] Rs 12.50 [d] Rs One
39. The fee charged for issuing a duplicate Savings Bank Passbook is________
[a] Rs 2/- [b] Rs 5/- [c] Rs 10 /- [d] Rs 25/-
40. A customer presented an insured VP letter, insurance amount Rs 300/- and VP
amount Rs 100/- with affixed prepaid postage stamp worth Rs 10/- weighing 23
grams in POS counter of a Post office. The amount collected by the POS PA from
the customer is _____________
[a] Rs 26/- [b] Rs 38/- [c] Rs 36/- [d] Rs 20/-
41. The sanctioning limit of Time scale Sub Post Master in respect of Savings Certificate
[a] Rs5000/- [b] Rs 500/- [c] Rs1000/- [d] Rs 2500/-
42. A report in respect of all transaction of deposits/withdrawals of Rs 50000/- or above
from SB/SC transactions should invariably reported by the in charge of Post Office
to the concerned Superintendent of Post Offices on or before ___________ working
day of the subsequent month
[a] 3rd day [b] 5th [c] 7th [d] 10th
43. ‘The Fatal Disc Error’ in Sanchay Post module is due to computer virus named____
[a] Trojan virus [b] Sality Virus [c] KGB Virus [d] Mouse virus
44. The amount of limit of withdrawal by branch post offices without obtaining the
sanction from the Account office is ___________
[a] Rs 500/- [b] Rs 1000/- [c] Rs 2000/- [d] Rs 5000/-
45. Permissible defaults in RD deposit scheme in respect of Defence Personal in Field
Post office is ______________
[a] 7 [b] 4 [c] 5 [d] 6
46. Any repayment of deposit together with interest in any of the Small Savings Schemes except
Savings Account if becomes Rs.__________ /- or above should only be made either by
account payee cheque or by crediting into Savings Account of the person standing at the same
Post office provided that maximum limit prescribed for single as well as joint Savings
Account is not exceeded. [Income Tax Act 269-T]
[a] Rs 100000/- [b] Rs 50000/- [c] Rs 20000/- [d] Rs 10000/-
47. If a “ T ” stamp impressed in the middle of the upper part of a postal cover , it shows that
[a] It contains telegrams
[c] It contains telegraph messages
48. For joining in RPLI scheme , the minimum age on next birth day is __________ years
[a] 60 [b] 18 [c] 21 [d] 19
49. The Maximum insurance limit in RPLI policy is Rs ______________
[a} Rs five lakhs [b] Rs four lakhs [c] Rs Three lakhs [d] Rs Two lakhs
50. The annual increment for Postal Assistant/Sorting assistant will be drawn in every _________
[a] January month
[c] July month
4 Surface Mode
6 Enter/TAB key
7 75 days
8 Rajdhani Mails
10 Rs 100
12 Air mail correspondence posted in ship
13 Free On Active Service
14 Two years
15 4.5 lakhs
17 Tri-monthly basis
18 Two lakhs
19 Month and audit
20 Sub Postmaster
21 Whole India
22 16 numbers
24 Rs 5000
25 Rs 50000
26 Rs 13/-
27 Rs 200-/-
28 Rs 100/-
29 Contain air parcel
31 ONE MONTH
32 Half the prepaid postage
33 Six months
34 2000 gms
35 Air surcharge fee
36 Rs 50000/-
37 Rs 10/-
38 Rs 10/-
39 Rs 10/-
40 Rs 36
41 Rs 1000/-
42 3rd working day
43 Sality virus
44 Rs 5000/-
46 Rs 20000/-
47 It is a due foreign articles
48 19 years
49 Three lakhs
50 July month