Government of India
Ministry of Personnal, PG & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated 19 May 2011
Sub: Effective Implementation of RTI Act, 2005-Setting up of RTI cells.
The undersigned is directed to refer to this Department’s OM No. 1/32/2007-IR dated 14.11.2007 whereby all the public authorities with more than one Public Information Officer(PIO) were advised to create a Central Point within the organisation to receive RTI applications and appeals and ensure quick distribution thereof. Experience for the past five years has shown that there is a need to expand the scope of the Central Point so as to deal with RTI related issues effectively.
2. In this context a RTI Cell has been set up in the Department of Personnel and Training (by reorganizing the staff in the Administration Division) with the following functions:
a) to receive RTI applications/ appeals/ decisions of the Central Information Commission (CIC) and to route them to CPIOs/ AAs.
b) dispatch replies to RTI requests and appeals including the letters requiring the applications to deposit additional fee.
c) transfer applications not pertaining to the public authority to the concerned public authority.
d) Maintain lists of PIOs, First appellate authorities and their link officers; and
e) coordinate the work relating to proactive disclosure, and the Annual report of the Central Information Commission etc.
A copy of the OM No.2/10/2010 dated 9th July2010 detailing the roles and functions of the RTI Cell is enclosed at Annexure I.
3. Subsequent to the setting up of the Cell, detailed instructions were issued to outline the procedures for handling RTI applications/ appeals vide OM No. 2/10/2010 dated 16th July, 2010 (Annexure II). This cell has been functioning for the last 9 months and has resulted in better compliance with the provisions of the RTI Act, 2005.
4. It is recommended that Ministries/ Departments may set up RTI Cells to streamline the receipt and disposal of RTI Applications. They may use the arrangements made by the DoPT vide Oms referred to above with suitable modifications.
5. Ministries/ Departments may also avail a one time grant of upto Rs. 50,000.00 for procuring a computer along with a printer and scanner facility for RTI Cells under the Centrally Sponsored Plan Scheme “Improving transparency and accountability through Effective Implementation of RTI” being implemented by this Department. Balance expenditure may be met by the Ministries/ Departments from their own funds. Central Public Authorities may send detailed proposals as per proforma in ‘Annexure III’ to Deputy Secretary (IR), Room No:280, North Block, New Delhi – 110001. Telefax: 23093074, eMail firstname.lastname@example.org
6. The status of setting up of RTI Cells by all Central Public Authorities may kindly be intimated to this Department by 31st July, 2011.
K G Verma